Work with Us
Street Lab is a nonprofit that creates and shares programs for public space across New York City. Using custom-designed installations, we pop up in parks, plazas, and other public spaces to offer places to gather around reading, drawing, and creative experiences for all ages. We partner with community-based organizations and with city agencies, and we prioritize underserved locations. We do this work in order to improve the urban environment, strengthen neighborhoods, and bring New Yorkers together. We also send kits around the world so that other cities can do the same.
We’re looking to hire great people for these positions:
HOURS: Flexible Part-time
LOCATION: New York City
EMPLOYMENT DATES: Ongoing, seasonal.
We want New York to be filled with public spaces that inspire, where all residents have places to gather and ways to connect, right in the heart of neighborhoods, and Street Lab is using a pop-up approach to make this vision a reality. In 2021, we offered our programs 280+ times in 70 locations, and we’re hiring talented Program Staff who are excited by the challenge of running these pop-up events and programs out on the street. We are looking for friendly, outgoing people, who can work confidently in a range of outdoor locations and are unfazed by some moderate physical labor. You will be on the frontlines of Street Lab’s work, and you should be focused on (and enjoy!) engaging people of all ages and backgrounds in our programs, ensuring that everyone feels welcome and included.
The positions are temporary and part time, and coincides with our event season which is Spring through Fall. Shifts are typically 4 – 5 hours long, and field staff typically work 2 or 3 shifts per week during the event season. We work with our staff to create a custom work schedule based on their availability.
- Setting up our installations, deploying street furniture, and packing up at the end of the event
- Greeting the public, making people of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities feel welcome and included
- Introducing the program materials and activities to participants
- Ensuring program material are well organized and attractive
- Representing Street Lab and explaining the organization’s work to the public.
- Communicating with other program staff, the program manager, delivery drivers, community partners, and volunteers to ensure a seamless event
- Taking photos and sharing with our Communications Manager
- Ensuring COVID-19 protocols are followed
- Experience with and passion for interacting with diverse members of the public of all ages, especially children
- Excellent customer service skills and a helpful, friendly disposition
- Confidence and good verbal communication skills
- Job will require occasional heavy lifting and remaining on your feet for long periods
- Language skills and knowledge of NYC neighborhoods are a plus.
- Driver’s license and experience driving in NYC a plus, and could lead to more hours
- Due to our work with seniors and young children, we require all Program Staff to have received both the initial COVID-19 Vaccination series and a COVID-19 booster shot
Street Lab Teens
Street Lab Teens offers New York City youth a chance to support and shape Street Lab’s mission of bringing community-oriented programming to neighborhood public spaces across New York City. Learn more and apply here.
Quotes from our staff:
“I definitely felt like I was making an impact. Whether it was introducing young kids to different areas of science/things I will be studying in college, or reading books to kids who don’t have someone at home to read to them, I felt that my presence aided them in several ways. Hearing all the different stories and working with children has also inspired me to do more service work” – Marco
“I want to thank you for allowing me to be part of the Uni Project this summer. It allowed me to travel to different pockets of the city that are very overlooked, some places where most never go, and feel like I had an impact.” – Rasheed
“All was well on Saturday. We had about a dozen kids overall, and some stayed all day. Several I recognized from last time I was there, and some kids asked for Greig, so it’s nice that we’re getting a regular crowd. The kids also have favorite books that they remember from prior weeks. One little boy had been obsessed with a book about frogs, and when I pulled it out for him he said ‘Oh no. Now I like funny books, like the book about Mr. Grover.’ (He was, hands down, my favorite kid.)” – Emily
“It’s a great way to see the city!” – Kelleen
Street Lab does not discriminate against any applicant or employee with regard to hiring, retention, promotion, benefits or compensation because of race, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship, gender, age, marital status, creed, sexual orientation, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.