Street Lab’s PLAY NYC program enables safe, hands-free play for children on closed-off streets in high-need neighborhoods. The program builds on our work at NYC play streets since 2013, and was designed from the ground up with industrial designer Hannah Berkin-Harper in response to COVID-19. The program launched in July 2020 in conjunction with the launch of the city’s first official Play Street Program. Program elements include:
- A touch-free obstacle course with colorful barriers, hurdles, balance beams, and limbo bar, that can be arranged in any configuration and combined with chalk drawings for custom challenges;
- Street chalk and layouts for creating engaging, appropriately-distanced zones for street games, and physical activities (maze, race track);
- Signage guiding people through the installation and encouraging all to maintain a safe distance;
- A health station with hand-sanitizer and masks;
- Custom-designed benches that are easy to disinfect, and stored on a rolling dolly in a compact stack; and
- Street Lab staff to oversee all.
We’re determined to make a safe place for learning and play, so kids in these neighborhoods don’t fall behind. Thanks to SPIN for early support. And now, in 2021 we’re making our PLAY kit for other cities too!
NYC Mayor announcing Street Lab at 2020 Play Streets:
PLAY NYC Design Partner:
PLAY NYC Fabrication Partner:
PLAY NYC Founding Sponsors:
Lead Sponsor 2020
NYC COVID-19 Response and Impact Fund at The New York Community Trust
Blog posts about PLAY NYC:
We're out to support New York City neighborhoods that are hosting newly-created Open Streets, and here's an example of how we're doing it. We've committed our PLAY and Street Marker programs to land every Friday afternoon on the Avenue B Open Street (between E 12th...
We're starting our outdoor season several months early, creating a residency for our PLAY program in support of 34th Avenue Open Street in Jackson Heights, Queens. PLAY offers safe, hands-free play for children on closed-off streets, including a no-touch obstacle...
PRESS RELEASE 2020-10-12 Street Lab expanding programs for safe play on NYC streets NYC nonprofit organization Street Lab will bring new opportunities for safe play for children to city streets throughout the fall, supported by Spin. Street Lab will offer its PLAY...