READ NYC, a pop-up reading room
- 200+ high-quality books—picture books, art books, books about the city, and more, with special collections from museums and bookstores, curated to reflect the history, culture and languages of the city;
- a mini book review activity, with a gallery of reviews and instant photos for people to take home;
- a custom-designed cart that stores, moves, and displays the collection (which can be closed and locked in place), and eight benches for seating;
- staff to set up and run the program (one program staff member and one manager);
- an option for hosts, libraries, bookstores or literary organizations to participate by adding special collections, read-alouds, and other activities.
How you can help Your support helps us take READ NYC to New York neighborhoods. Make a donation here. Or, donate books. Visit our wish list at Strand Bookstore. We love bilingual and international titles. We also accept used books in the categories above. Uni Book Donation Policy. Contact Leslie Davol.
Deployments of READ on our blog…
Yesterday we landed in Times Square with our PLAY and READ programs to help announce 2022 Car-Free Earth Day (April 23) in partnership with NYC Dept. of Transportation.
We’ll be expanding our longtime partnership with NYC DOT in 2022—stay tuned!
We just clicked send on our quarterly email update, and you can read a copy below. If hearing from us four times a year by email sounds good to you, then sign up anytime! We also share more frequent updates on social media.
Every Tuesday this summer, Red Hook Initiative is organizing activities for kids and families on the West 9th St Open Street in Brooklyn. We’re supporting this community effort by deploying PLAY NYC, our program to support safe, hands-free play for children on the...