Piloting New Public Spaces
In 2022, Street Lab is partnering with the NYC Department of Transportation (NYC DOT) and community groups to pilot new Open Streets, plazas, and other pedestrian public spaces in neighborhoods which lack these amenities. Our goal is to help these groups launch and become stewards of new public spaces that will flourish and enjoy community support for years to come. We’ll offer Street Lab’s award-winning programming alongside a suite of other services designed to help get these spaces off the ground.
To start, we’ll partner with local community groups to run pilots in six of these neighborhoods:
- Flushing, Murray Hill, and Woodhaven in Queens
- Crown Heights, East New York, and Brownsville in Brooklyn
- Fordham, Tremont, Belmont, Morrisania, Hunts Point, and Soundview in the Bronx
Street Lab will be on the ground helping community groups with:
- Obtaining permits
- Community engagement, including outreach, workshops, and surveys
- Staffing to support operations
- Regular activation with Street Lab’s pop-up programs, including collaborations with local organizations, artists, libraries, and businesses
- Photography, evaluation, and documentation
Events listings coming soon!